3.03.2014

Jumping Whales, Sharks, Kraken and any other available Aquatic life forms

DMZ, written by Brian Wood, illustrated by Riccardo Burchielli.

Plots are hard.  I know, I've tried to write a few and often they come apart.  You forget to leave room for stuff to happen or you leave too much room and end up backfilling with garbage.

The DMZ series started out really well.  I liked the first few books... but after a while the twists in the plot line became more and more untenable.  The one that finally made me stop reading the series was the "Chinatown gold subplot".

Turns out that one of the gangsters in the movie ended up with a bunch of gold.  When things went bad in NYC and the war broke out, not all of the banks could get all of their assets out.  So this gangster ended up with gold.  Got it?  Alright, now this gold gets used to buy... wait for it... a nuke.

Yeah.  So I stopped reading when they bought a nuke with the fabled Chinatown gold.  Call me judgmental.  So it goes. 

Here's an amazon link to the first DMZ book (which I really enjoyed).

No comments: