4.08.2014

Art in a glass

When a glass gets that tall, it should expand to an appropriate width.  If, for instance, a person grows taller, they grow wider.  If they don't, people call them names like sting bean or skinny Joe or whatever because they look weird.  Glasses that are too tall and not wide enough look weird.

Here's another example: suppose you saw a very tall man standing amongst a group of average height men.  He'd look weird.  But suppose that you saw the same man by himself.  If he was well proportioned then he would appear normal.  Now, if he were super skinny then he'd look weird but again now we're back to the glass that is too tall and not wide enough.

So that is what Tevi is pouring his new drink in.  Tevi is a bartender.  Barely.  I mean it's his job and he gets paid and all that kind of stuff that makes him nominally a professional but no one actually thinks of him as a bartender.  He's that dude who mostly ignores the customers, sweats profusely and constantly tries to make weirder and weirder drinks.

Tonight the weirdness had to do with the container.  I'd seen him do this before.  It wasn't the ingredients he was toying with tonight - it was what the ingredients went in.  I once saw him pouring drinks into glass fish sculptures.  It worked.  Everything I drank out of those things tasted just a little bit different because it was inside a glass fish.  Maybe he didn't wash the fish out, I don't know but it worked and damned if he wasn't trying the same thing again tonight with a superbly absurd way too tall glass.

"Tevi, how are they gonna drink it?  Looks to me like nobody has got long enough arms to reach that thing to their face and there ain't no straw in the bar that long plus you'd have to set it on the floor to make that work.  You know what I mean?"  I said this knowing full well that he fed off this kind of nay saying.  It only strengthened his urge to create more bizarre drinks.

"Maybe it's not for you, uh?"  Tevi didn't look up at me.

I shrugged and looked about the bar for support but everyone else was watching some game on the television.

"What makes you do it, Tevi?  Why always with the new and weird drinks?"  I asked.

He stopped and looked at me.  This was unusual and somewhat disturbing.  Tevi is an intense, sweaty man with a penetrating stare.  "It's my art, man.  That's all the reason I need."



No comments: