1.16.2016

Page 3

“I need your help?”  She looks at his hand.  It descends back to his side.
“Take a look at the people walking in the street.”  He turns slightly and gestures to the passing crowd.
She looks.  “Why?”
“Look at the women’s hair.  The style of their hair.”
Without exception, all the women are wearing long hair in a pony tail. Her hand reaches up to her own hair, which is in two braids.
“Unbraid it and wear this.”  Thaxton hands her a hair tie.  “Braids have been out of style for several decades.”
She unbraids her hair and puts it up in a pony tail.
“We can get you new clothes too.  At the church, I have some.”  He looks off to the left.
“What's wrong with my clothes?”
Thaxton snorts.  “They are out of style.  Out of place.  Out of time.”  He looks down at her waistline.  “Your knife.  We should get rid of that right away as well.”
Her hand shoots to the knife hilt.  Grasps it.  “My… my… my… kn… knife?”
He raises a hand up slowly and extends it toward her with an open palm.  “Yes.  Your knife.  No woman in Thuja carries a knife.  Look for yourself, if you need to.”

No comments: